Monday, February 8, 2016

I grew up white in Mississippi

i grew up white in Mississippi. it seems one must always clarify one's race when describing growing up in Mississippi. I grew up at a time when the civil rights movement was in full throes. I was probably too young to know anything about it. I didn't grow up knowing white people were supposed to not like black people. No one said nothing about that till later. I don't have any memories of Medgar Evers getting killed. I would have only been like 5 when that happened. I think I remember John Kennedy getting shot, but maybe its really not my memory. I'm not sure why I wouldn't have someone else's memory of Medgar Evers getting shot, but then he wasn't the president or anything either. As a child we grew up with a maid. Not that we were rich, we weren't. And in many ways she took the place of a mother and it seemed as natural and normal as ever to be raised by a black mother as a white one. Occasionally, she brought her son over who was also my brother and mine age, and we played together like we did with any other kid. Evon was her name, it still might be, which I guess shows you she wasn't really my mother or else I would at least know if she were alive or well or not. On good days we would go to the small corner grocer. I don't remember if we walked, or road our bikes, or if we got a ride. I don't think we had but one car so I assume that most of the time we either walked or road our bikes. I don't hardly remember nothing about it, except it was always special because we usually got  some candy, and there was a black man who worked there, Percy was his name, I don't know why I remember him, but I do, and I remember he wore his watch with the face facing inwards so he wouldn't scratch it. I liked him. I don't know if he liked me or not, but he was really a nice guy and didn't no one ever say mean or bad things about him. He had a certain dignity that even us kids knew he had though we didn't even know there was anything called dignity. I think we just thought he was a happy man that liked to smile and knew everybody's name, and everybody knew him and liked to say hello to him, and for him to say hello to them. I went to Catholic school, that's because I am Catholic, or at least my mother and daddy said I was, which I didn't know at the time, which would make me a little strange too, though like I said, I didn't think so, and no-one ever told me so, at least not till later. In school I think we had a few black people that went to school there, but not many, and I don't remember having black friends or even knowing many black people but our maid and her son and Percy. I don't even remember talking about people being black or white or Catholic or Protestant or any of that stuff. Maybe my mom and dad talked about it sometime, but if they did, I don't remember it, and they didn't tell us about it. It didn't really seem special to grow up white in Mississippi except till later in life and everyone else seemed to think it must really be different. I didn't  think it was really that different to grow up white in Mississippi from growing up black in Mississippi. Well sure now I know being black in Mississippi wasn't nothing like being white in Mississippi, but I don't think being black in Mississippi or being white in Mississippi would be that different from being white or black anywhere else. Of course I don't rightly know cause I only grew up white in Mississippi. 

No comments: